Why Choose Steel
Benefits of Steel over alternative buildings:
- Steel building components are manufactured to consistent quality and exacting tolerances.
- Steel is manufactured to precise and uniform shapes.
- Steel does not promote mould and mildew leading to minimal ongoing maintenance.
- Steel has one of the highest strength to weight ratios of all building materials.
- Steel can be engineered to meet the snow load and wind zones required by building regulations.
- Higher strength means that on-centre distances can be wider in steel buildings reducing the amount of material and labour required – thus reducing costs.
- Steel strength allows for taller walls.
- Steel and metal framing can reach greater spans than other materials creating larger open spaces.
- Steel can work well on its own or in combination with other materials.
- Steel frames are lighter than traditional concrete and masonry leading to reduced footing and foundation requirements.
- Steel building components can be as much as 50% lighter than wood.
- Steel building components do not rot like wood construction can
- Steel framing connections are much stronger than wood connections.
- A steel or metal framed building produces much less waste than wood. An average wood framed home generates about 50 cubic feet of waste in the landfills compared to about 1.5 cubic feet for steel or metal.
- Steel is non-combustible. In many cases, your insurance premiums will be lower because of this.
- Steel is 100% recyclable. 60 million tons of scrap steel are recycled every year which is more than paper, aluminium, glass and plastic combined.